Preparation time—10 minutes Cooking time—20 minutes
- Split pigeon lentil [toor dal/arhar] 1 cup
- Sorrel [gongura] leaves, chopped 1½ cup
- Green chillies, chopped 2
- Turmeric [haldi] powder ½ tsp
- Mustard [rai] seeds ½ tsp
- Cumin [jeera] seeds ½ tsp
- Dry red chilies 2
- Asafoetida [hing] a pinch
- Onion, chopped 1 medium
- Curry leaves 8-10
- Garlic, chopped 4-5 cloves
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Tomato, chopped 1 medium
- Salt to taste
- Oil 2tbsp
1-Pick, wash and boil dal in 4cups of water along with little salt and turmeric powder in the pressure cooker for 3 whistles or till tender.
2-Heat oil in a pan, crackles mustard seeds , cumin seeds and dry chillies,add onions, garlic and curry leaves and fry till golden brown ,add hing , sorrel leaves and salt as per taste and stir cook for 4-5 minutes.
3-Add tomato and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stir in red chili powder ,then add cooked dal, mix well, adjust the seasoning.[if dal is thick add some boiled water] ,continue to cook for couple of minutes.
4-Remove from the fire and serve hot.